We're open!   Your safety is our top priority; learn more here.
Menu
Reservations
Book Now

Timeline

September 1924

Construction begins

August 13, 1927

WGHB Radio Station (same initials as the owner, G. H. Bowles); studio is established on the 3rd Floor

January 8, 1928

Opening Dinner Dance on Saturday, January 8, 1928 was held for $2.50/plate

December 27, 1929

Opened only seasonally; reservations included breakfast, lunch & dinner, known as the American Plan

November 1934

A swimming beach was added

1935

Additional guest rooms were added, along with a 28-car garage and servants’ dormitory in the back

1937

A 400’ pier was built across the street

1941

Rest of block was purchased; English croquet court and miniature skeet shooting range were built

January 3, 1942

Hotel becomes a private club, known as The Fenway

WWII Years

Hotel remained opened; one of the few on Florida’s west coast

August 1945

Following the war, all the rooms were redecorated, tennis, shuffleboard courts and a game room were added

1956

Swimming pool was added; hotel opened year round to locals and winter residents

1957, ’58, ’59

Memberships were sold for $25/year which included pool, shuffleboard and tennis; however, it wasn’t successful as the locals couldn’t afford it

July 7, 1960

Air-conditioning is added; 200 Fenway family memberships were sold

Oct 1, 1960

40 rooms and suites were made available for permanent residents; Lifetime Residency Program at $275/month per person (included all meals)

1958 – 1961

Fenway was headquarters for the Buffalo Bisons, NY minor league baseball team

June 1961

Fenway Academy affiliated with Trinity College; purchased the hotel for $250,000

1976

Two new buildings were added; an administrative building with a library and an auditorium

1988

Trinity College moves to Pasco County campus; Fenway is left empty for 3 years

March 1, 1990

Schiller buys the hotel for $1.85 million; Dunedin Campus of Schiller International University; $1 million is spent on renovations; 52 rooms for students and 44 rooms were sealed off

1994

Schiller moves headquarters from Germany to Dunedin

1997

The Schiller Academy, a high school program, opens

February 2006

6.4 acre Fenway property sold to George Rahdert for $6.2 million

February 2010

The Fenway was foreclosed

June 14, 2014

Fenway is sold to the non-profit organization, Taoist Tai Chi Society of the USA for $2.8M to become its new national headquarters and a new international centre for its parent society, the Fung Loy Kok Institute of Taoism.

February 2018

The property is split into two parcels; Mainsail Lodging & Development buys the hotel from The Taoist Tai Chi Society and resumes renovations

October 25, 2018

Fenway Hotel opens as a member of the Autograph Collection®